Sensei Junko Arai is the main Sensei and manager of the Bellevue Dojo.
Sensei Arai has represented the U.S. in all levels of competition, including individual kata, individual kumite, team kata, and team kumite. She spent many years juggling training, traveling, teaching, and academic studies, and earned a BA from the University of Washington in 1998. She has been very active in the karate community, having served as Athlete Representative to the USA National Karate-Do Federation, and Alternate Athlete Representative to the US Olympic Committee.
She began her karate training at the Washington Karate Association in 1986. In 1994 she was selected to the USA National team and dedicated 10 years to living life as a karate athlete, training several hours a day, attending training camps, and traveling the world to different competitions.
Currently, she teaches full time at the Washington Karate Association Bellevue Dojo, and is the Karate instructor at Edmonds Community College.
Accomplishments and Awards
- Godan (5th degree Black Belt) in Hayashi-Ha Shito Ryu
- USA Team Member (1994-2004)
- Athlete Representative to the USA National Karate-Do Federation (1996-2006)
- World Championship Silver Medalist (1996, 1998)
- World Games Bronze Medalist (2001)
- Hayashi-Ha World Championships Gold Medalist (1997)
- International Hayashi-Ha World Championships Gold Medalist (2007)
- Pan American Games Silver Medalist (2003)
- Pan American Championship Medalist (1995, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002)
- National Champion (1995-2003)